Sunday, June 11, 2017

Day 2

Word of the Day:

The next parable in Luke was chapter 10 verses 25-37: The Parable of the Good Samaritan. This is one of the most well known and referenced parables in my mind. I still remember watching this parable in cartoon form at church. In it's all simplicity, it is still convicting. The bible tells us that "an expert in the law" questioned Jesus to see how he believes one will have eternal life after death. Jesus replied with a parable of a man who was robbed and beaten and passed by a priest and a Levite. However, a Samaritan showed him mercy and took care of him at all cost to himself. He just chose to have compassion on a stranger that day. I don't remember the exact backgrounds of each of these men and the man who was robbed. From what I understand it had to do with cultures not interacting with others or some sort of manner where the priest and Levite had specific cultural reasons not to help him. But the Samaritan disregarded those cultural influences and did it anyway because he knew in his heart it was what God was calling him to do.

I guess this verse can hit home in a few ways. One being that the Samaritan must have been in tune with God that day to feel the spirit telling him to help this man and it was what God wanted him to do. Or that this man didn't live by the world's standards and lived by God's standards which is what we are called to do. I have found that working with poverty has hardened me over the years and frustrated me in many ways that I have lost that level of compassion for people. It's a wake up call that I need to filter my mind through the word of God and live by the spirit and not of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment